Many of the holiday treats and traditions we love can cause health problems for our pets. Here are some tips to keep your pets safe:

Don’t leave wine glasses at snout or tail level. Alcohol is a real problem for pets, and overactive tails could also knock over glasses.

Keep cut flowers and centerpieces out of paw’s reach. Ribbons, strings, and sticks are a danger as cats love to play with them and if ingested, they can become caught in the intestinal tract. Potpourri also contains herbs and oils that can be toxic.

Careful with the turkey & trimmings! Turkey skin, gravy, and drippings are all high in fat and can cause pancreatitis in pets. Bones are a choking hazard, as is the tasty twine you used to secure your bird. If your stuffing contains raisins, onion or garlic, it’s a no-no for fido—and felines, too.

You’re probably already aware that chocolate can be toxic to pets. But it’s paws off for other sweets too, such as candied yams and pies, cake, and cookie dough.

Tummy aches are no fun for our pets – or for us! If you need more information or have questions about keeping your pet safe and healthy during the holiday, call us at (719) 528-5557.