If so, it could be a serious problem! With Valentine’s Day around the corner, it’s important to remember to keep all those heart-shaped boxes of treats out of paw’s reach!

Chocolate is extremely dangerous to both dogs and cats and can cause nausea, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, pancreatitis, seizures and even death. The toxic substance in chocolate is theobromine, and it is present in all chocolate, even the white kind. As a rule, the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine present, with the most dangerous being unsweetened baking chocolate and cocoa powder.

If your pet ingests any amount of chocolate, the first thing to try and note is how much they ate and what kind. Signs of chocolate poisoning usually appear about six to twelve hours after your pet has eaten it, and symptoms to watch for include:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • restlessness
  • frequent urination
  • tremors
  • seizures
  • elevated heart rate

For more information or if you think your pet may have ingested chocolate or any harmful substance, don’t hesitate to give us a call at (719) 528-5689. After hours, you can contact the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.