What’s lurking in your house that could make your pet sick? Turns out, lots of things!
Here are a few of the most common household substances that need to stay out of paw’s reach:
- Human medications. Keep them in sealed containers and locked away as pets might see loose pills and think they’re treats.
- Plants. Dogs and cats like to chew on plants, but some can make your pet very ill. The most common toxic plants are azaleas, lilies, daffodils and tulips. Don’t let your pets chew on any part of these plants.
- Antifreeze. Antifreeze tastes sweet to pets, but even small amounts can cause fatal health problems. The poisonous substance in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, so to limit the danger, consider switching to an antifreeze that contains propylene glycol instead.
- Rat poisons and snail bait. Even if the box says “pet safe”, these products contain substances that can be as deadly to your pet as they are to the critters you want to eliminate. Avoid having them in your home and choose non-toxic options for pest control.
If you believe your pet has been poisoned or ingested something that could be toxic, contact us as soon as possible by calling (719) 528-5557. The ASPCA’S Poison Control Website and Helpline is another great resource for immediate assistance.