Keeping Your Pet Safe on Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner! This special romantic holiday poses some very specific dangers to our animal companions, so pet owners will want to take some precautions to keep their furry pals safe as Cupid makes his annual appearance. In this article, a Colorado Springs, CO veterinarian offers some advice on keeping pets healthy and safe around Valentine’s Day.

Chocolate

Chocolate is definitely high on the list of potential dangers for pets. Chocolate is extremely toxic to both dogs and cats, although Fido is probably a bit more likely to actually eat it than Fluffy is. This is because the chemicals that give us that special ‘chocolate buzz’ can have very harmful effects on our furry friends.

Candy

Small, hard candies are also dangerous for our furry buddies. Not only are they high in sugar, they can also present choking hazards. Many candies also contain xylitol, which is toxic to our four-legged friends. Keep that candy bowl away from your furbaby!

Flowers

Beautiful bouquets are a lovely Valentine’s Day tradition. Just be sure to keep those lovely flower arrangements well out of the reach of those furry paws. Many pretty flowers, such as lilies, are toxic to pets. Roses, which are probably the most popular bouquet flowers, aren’t poisonous, but are still very dangerous because of their thorns.

Candles

Candles can really set the stage for a romantic night. Burning candles within reach of your furry friend, however, can lead to disaster! Always keep candles and potpourri burners in high, secure spots, where Fluffy and Fido can’t reach them. Also, never leave pets unattended in a room with lit candles. Better safe than sorry!

Wine

Wine is another popular Valentine’s Day gift. Alcohol is very toxic to our four-legged friends! Don’t leave alcoholic beverages out in spots your pet could possibly reach.

Stuffed Animals

Many people give or receive adorable stuffed animals as Valentine’s Day presents. If Fido spots one of these cute gifts, he may very well want to play with it. The danger here is that many stuffed animals have small parts, such as buttons, that could choke a playful pooch. The stuffing can also be very dangerous. Give your canine buddy a new chew toy instead.

Do you have questions about your pet’s health or care? We can help! Contact us, your Colorado Springs, CO animal hospital, today!